When you run as much as I do, you have to know that eventually injuries are going to happen. When my heel started to hurt I thought nothing of it. How bad can a little heel pain be? Have you ever had planter fasciitis? It’s so much more than just a little heal pain.
While at the hospital for when my son was being born, a nurse and I talked about how I was training for some races this year. We started talking about the pain I was feeling my heel and that was when I first heard about planter fasciitis.
The plantar fascia is the flat band of tissue (ligament) that connects your heel bone to your toes. It supports the arch of your foot. If you strain your plantar fascia, it gets weak, swollen, and irritated (inflamed). Then your heel or the bottom of your foot hurts when you stand or walk.
Now when I say it hurts when you walk, I mean it kills. Think of it like you had a knife shoved up your heel and the pain is completely unbearable. The other morning, I couldn’t’ even get out of bed because the pain was that bad. That was when I realized it was time to do something.
RunGr8 Running Center couldn’t have been more helpful. When I walked in and told them what I was going through, they had all the answers I needed.
Here are five simple solutions to treating the planter fasciitis that have completely changed my life:
- Shoe Insert. I love my Hoka One One’s because they have fantastic support, but sometimes you need extra support. The manager at RunGr8, Stephanie, helped me with a heel cup support that feels like my heel is completely cupped and comforted. Then it also gives you some extra support in your arch. The foot gets tired, especially they plantar fascia, making it stretch and causing the pain. Seriously, these inserts have been a complete game changer.
- Foot Roller. You know how you get on one of those foam rollers and it hurts so good? That is how the foot roller feels. I will sit on the couch and just roll my foot during an entire episode of Kardashians. Once it’s over I feel good about myself and my foot feels fantastic. Believe me, a foot roller is a total must have.
Here is the one that I got and absolutely love. Like I said, it has totally helped my foot. Every day I get home from work I just roll my foot on this for 30 minutes to an hour and it feels amazing.
- Iced Water Bottle. Ice is great for reducing the inflammation, but when you freeze a water bottle, you then can roll your foot over it which helps more than I could have imagined. Best part of this, it doesn’t cost you a thing and helps so much.
- Compression Socks. Stance has always been my go to sock. I love them and years ago I got a pair that had support that wraps around the middle of your foot, compressing the arch and relieving you of pain.
- Compression Support. Maybe the sock isn’t enough for you. These supports are too good to be true. I was nervous putting it on, but once I finally got it on I didn’t want to take it off. What I love is that unlike a sock, the toe is open and fabric more breathable. This makes it possible to wear it at night.
I have instantly started feeling results and so grateful for all the help that RunGr8 Running Center gave me. If running is your thing or you want to get into running, I highly recommend heading over to their store and let them help you. You will never want to go to another running store.